Genesis 26:1-5 Isaac must stay in the Promised Land
1 There was
a famine in the land, besides the first famine that was in the days of Abraham.
And Isaac went to Abimelech king of the Philistines, in Gerar. 2 Then the LORD appeared to him and
said: "Do not go down to
Y After Abraham died, another famine came over the land and Isaac went to Abimelech in Gerar of the Philistines to whom Abraham had said that Sarah was his wife before the birth of Isaac. At this time Isaac is over 75 years old because Abraham died when Isaac was 75 years old, Jacob and Esau were at least 15 years old.
Yehowah appeared to Isaac and told him
not to go down to
Y The blessing included all the promises God had given to Abraham:
1. I will be with you and bless you.
2. To you and your descendants I will give all these lands.
3. I will perform the oath which I swore to Abraham your father.
4. I will make your descendants multiply as the stars of Heaven.
5. I will give to your descendants all these lands.
6. In your seed all the nations of the earth will be blessed.
Y And the reason the promise is passed on to Isaac is “Because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws.”
God’s love for Abraham caused Him to rescue Lot
from destruction with
Y Because of God’s love for David, He did not tear the kingdom from Solomon when he sinned but waited until Solomon had died and then tore the kingdom from Rehoboam son of Solomon. [1 Kings 11:11-12]